One bachelor, nine friends, some spending money, and two testosterone-fueled days in Las Vegas. What could go wrong? I’ll tell you next week. Heading up to Nevada for the weekend for my best friend’s bachelor party, it should be a gas!
Friday, February 26, 2010
Wednesday, February 24, 2010
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Friday, February 19, 2010
Thursday, February 18, 2010
Friday, February 12, 2010
I keep finding little goals to keep me moving forward. Most of them are silly and near to hand anyway. Still, they give the sense of accomplishment.
Recently accomplished goals:
- Went for the first jog of the season. A 3 mile stint down the Peavine. My calves forgot what this whole jogging thing is all about.
- Finished reading Anna Karenina. It was good, but left me with a sense of unfinished business. Nobody ends up happy, some people end up dead.
- Squatted my body weight at the gym
- Hiking on a regular basis. Last winter I didn’t get out nearly as often as I wanted to. This year I’ve been making up for perceived lost time.
- Eating healthy… ish. Lots o’ protein, not nearly as much sugar as I used to eat. Lots of small meals throughout the day (eating 7-8 times per day), with lots of fruits and veggies. And most importantly – I don’t feel like I’m ‘on a diet’, I’m just eating things that taste good and are good for me. I’m not psycho about it, I still eat pizza every now and then, and a hamburger too. It’s a nice balance.
- Started attending another ballroom dance class.
Current goals that need accomplishing:
- Sign up for my first race, the Whiskey Row 10K, and train enough to not be the last guy across the finish line.
- Get through at least half of my book shelf in the next two months, now that the long hard russian novel is done.
- Deadlift my body weight without feeling gimpy the next day. Currently at 155lbs and always walk funny the day after.
- Start learning how to play the piano.
- Write more, worry less.
What about you folks out there in the ether? What are your goals and accomplishments?
Thursday, February 11, 2010
Wednesday, February 10, 2010
Tuesday, February 9, 2010
Monday, February 8, 2010
Sunday I opted to drive over the mountain to Jerome. Saturday night we got snow, and the drive over was gorgeous. The hills were blanketed with fog and snow. Unfortunately there weren’t many pull-outs due to all the snow piled up on the sides of the road, so I stopped at the one I saw:
Arriving in Jerome it was starting to rain/sleet/snow, but that wasn’t going to stop my meandering. I started in the main parts of town, catching sight of the Fire Station:
And of course one has to capture the Spirit Room when visiting Jerome. The biker bar is generally packed on weekends. Apparently the weather kept the droves away the day I was here:
I walked down the ‘Narrow Roadway’ towards the Grand Hotel, catching this cute sign:
Then shot a nice view of the hotel:
Also shot a few of the dilapidated houses around town:
Eventually I wound my way back to the truck, put the camera away, and headed to the Flat Iron Cafe. There I enjoyed an amazing braised pork sandwich, served with a healthy heaping of pleasant conversation. Hard to beat a day like that!
Friday, February 5, 2010
Thursday, February 4, 2010
Tuesday, February 2, 2010
Today, I achieved one of my major fitness goals. Back-squatted my body weight. Five sets, five reps at 175lbs. I need to fix a few form issues, but I did it and didn’t injure myself in the process! This is entirely more exciting than I imagined it would be. To me anyway. :)
I’m sure the other people in the gym were wondering what was going on. Loud grunting followed by giddy laughter and possibly some minor fist-pumping. Yeah… that was me at 4:00AM this morning.