Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Time to do irresponsible things.

I put my notice in to work, as of August 1st I will no longer be employed.

What am I going to be doing with myself after that day? Hopefully driving, to nowhere in particular. I’ve reached that stage which we young people get to, where suddenly we are curious what awaits us out there in the big bad world. A time when we throw caution to the wind and do irresponsible things in order to ask ourselves the question ‘Who am I?’

 

This idea has been in my head for a while, but I have chosen to finally make it a reality. I am leaving with only half-formed ideas of places to go. I’ll be sleeping in the back of a pickup truck which I have yet to purchase. I’ll be scrounging cash and working odd jobs along the way. I’ll be trying to meet up with people I know, and get to know people I meet. I don’t know how long it will take. Maybe I’ll get scared and return after a month, maybe I’ll be driving for years. I’d like to think I’ll come back to Prescott, but if another place calls to my heart I may not be making my way back to my birthplace. Only time will tell.

 

As with all changes in lifestyle, I am expecting this to be difficult and scary. That is part of the appeal.

 

This blog will see some changes along the way as well I am sure. Travel updates will certainly arrive here. Inquiries for recommendations on everything from restaurants to destinations. Calls for help when my knowledge or capabilities fail me. Searches for a couch to stay on, or a line on a job in some far-away city when I get lonely or run out of money.  It should be interesting.

 

For now I wait, and prepare. I look at maps, and look up old friends. I make lists of things I need to do, things I need to buy. At this moment I am looking for a truck to purchase which will carry me on these travels.

 

So stay tuned for the travels of a naive network administrator. :)

6 comments:

Catalyst said...

Tombo, I congratulate you on your courage. I had a mind to do that sort of thing when I was your age but never really got around to it. Enjoy yourself, stay in touch and give Austin, Texas, a visit. Great young person's town.

Big Sky Chef said...

Envy is the word...I hope you keep the Blog going as Being a full time RVer, our paths may cross again.

Get a camper for that truck, it may be a bit more comfortable.

In all my Travels here in the west, my stay @ Summit County Colorado was a high-lite. Breckenridge is the main town I was impressed with. Lots of scenery for your camera & tons of trails for Scrappy.

Have Fun!!

quilteddogs said...

Oh wow! Good for you and how cool is that. Sorta like Easy Rider sans motorcycle.

TomboCheck said...

Catalyst - I'm afraid if I don't do it now I won't ever get around to it either. As for Austin - I'll check it out.

Tom - I hope they do cross again. :) And a camper is definitely required, as I'll have a mattress in the back along with all my worldly possessions. Summit County sounds good. When I eventually get to CO i'll swing by.

QD - I almost went the motorcycle route, but didn't want to buy a sidecar for scrappy. Next option was a truck.

Melissa said...

See? I'm not the only one who thinks you're the awesome for doing this. You're following the dream. Pardon the cliche.

Look forward to seeing you. :)

TomboCheck said...

Well, I'm following A dream anyway, not sure if it is THE dream. :)

And I'm definitely looking forward to seeing you two!