They were gone so fast, I almost didn’t get a picture of them. Thankfully for the blog, almost only counts in horse shoes and hand-grenades.
Beef Tongue Tacos
- 1 beef tongue
- 2 poblano (some call them pasilla) peppers
- 2 anaheim chiles
- 1 medium can diced tomato
- 1 small onion
- 1 bunch cilantro
- 2 small tomatoes
- 3 or 4 cloves fresh garlic
- ~1/2 cup orange juice
- lime juice to taste
- Skin the beef tongue. This can be a pain in the rear, make sure you have a sharp knife. Make sure to cut out any black/dark red bits (normally I get them near the tip of the tongue). Then cut tongue into 3-4 same-sized chunks. Set in slow cooker.
- Roast your poblano and anaheim chiles. I do this on the stove-top, but you could also do it under the broiler or on the grill. Make sure they are completely black on the outside, then stick them in a sealed container (freezer bag, Tupperware, etc) and let them steam for 5-10 minutes. Then wipe all the black skin off, cut off stems, remove seeds/veins for milder sauce, or leave them in for more spice. Give a rough chop, then throw into slow cooker
- Dice onion, mince garlic and add both to slow cooker
- Add orange juice, can of diced tomato, LOTS of cumin, some salt/pepper/paprika/pinch of sugar. Stir it all around
- Add water or stock until tongue is just covered
- Set in fridge overnight.
- Wake up, start slow cooker. Mine went for ~12 hours at medium-high. The tongue ended up being a little softer than I wanted, and started falling apart as I pulled it out. In retrospect, I’d do medium for 12 hours, or medium high for 8.
- Pull meat out of slow cooker when you get home and allow to cool a bit, then slice into ~1/4 inch thick pieces.
- Strain peppers/tomato/onion from the cooking sauce and set aside as a topping.
- Chop fresh tomatoes and cilantro for topping.
- Heat pan on high, add a little oil, and then cook tongue until desired level of crispiness has been attained.
- Heat tortillas on stove top, add tongue, tomatoes, cilantro, cooking veggies, lime juice. You could also add cheese and sour cream.
Fold it up and enjoy. My room mate Steve and I managed to eat a whole tongue between the two of us. It was delicious!