Thursday, May 21, 2009

And now I’m tired

I pull the truck over to the side of the road. It’s 11:30 at night, and I’m somewhere between Bagdad and Kirkland, pointing homewards. I turn off the engine, but leave the stereo quietly playing. I get out of the truck and stand on the tailgate. The sky is open above and the stars are magnificent. As I look I see three shooting stars in succession.

 

The sad guitar drifts up to me from a Counting Crows song, and as I stand there all the anger leaves my body. I laugh and cry all at once. The world is no longer tinged red, it is beautiful again.

 

I sit for ten minute sin the dark marveling at the sky and the music. Not one car goes by, the moment is unbroken.

 

I get back in the truck, start the engine, and pull back onto the road. I’m still two hours from home, and now I am very tired.


August and Everything After

No comments: