Sunday, February 6, 2011

From Albuquerque to….

Las Cruces, just for a place to sleep for the night. I watched as a storm rolled in:

image

image

 

I woke up super early, hoping to get to White Sands National Monument before sunset to take pictures. I departed Las Cruces, and arrived at the park only to find… a locked gate? Turns out they don’t open until 7:00AM, so I passed out for another hour and half in the driver’s seat and awoke to the clanging of the gate chain. Sadly, I also woke up to the already-fading colors of sunrise.

 

Sad about missing the color, I drove into the park and wandered around the crisp, cold, white dunes on the Alkalai flats trail:
image

image

image

 

But there was a cold wind blowing off of that storm, so I didn’t stay for too long. I headed to Alamogordo for a cup of joe, to check my email, and then to head out towards Carlsbad Caverns.

No comments: