Friday, February 11, 2011

San Antonio, TX!

I pull into San Antonio refreshed from my days in Big Bend. I have no expectations for the city, the only thing I know is that my dad told me to check out the river walk. I drive around for hours first, trying to get a feel for more than just the downtown of the city. I see graffiti, or course, as soon as I am out of downtown:

image 

image

 

I’ve arrived in the late afternoon, and snag a parking spot for an hour, I walk along the river walk for a bit, but there is so much more than I can explore in one hour. I commit to come back in the morning when the parking is free and see a bit more. For the evening I opt to go out to the missions to snap a few quick pics.

 

The first one is at the Mission of San Pedro, with a piece called the ‘rose window’:

image 

 

Unfortunately the mission is under construction, and so I lose my inspiration to photograph it quickly, stopping only to check out some of the sculptures that surround the walls:

image .

 

As I speed towards the next one, the sun sets. I arrive at the mission de San Juan just as the light fades:

image

 

And with the darkness I locate a walmart and park for the night. I wake up before dawn and head downtown, hoping to get a few hours of walking in. And so I head down and do just about all of the river walk, where the hotels and shops line the walking path along the water:

image

 

I pop up in time to watch sunrise reflect off of a tall hotel:

image

 

I pop through Hemisfair park:

image

 

I walk to the ‘Towers of America and grab a shot of it as the ambient light begins to fill its folds:

image

 

From there it is putzing around the downtown district, shooting random things like the Buckhorn museum of texas rangers:

image

 

And an old brick building with a statue of blind justice out front:

image

 

I stop and see the Alamo, but the dog isn’t allowed inside so I just get a quick shot of the front:

image

 

And then a snap of the cathedral downtown:

image

 

I find a nice coffee shop (Local Coffee) on the north end of town, and sit for a few hours editing photos, reading, writing, and listening to the good house music. Then I hit the road again. It’s time for Austin… which might just be a long stop.

No comments: