Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Pullman, Washington

After the lovely wind energy farm, I pulled up to my destination: Pullman. Here to see a friend. Well, kind of. Here to see a friend of my sister’s from high school. I saw her in town over the holidays and we became ‘facebook friends’, which is always fun. So I asked if I could bum a couch from her, and she obliged. Then she showed me around her town. Which was a blast.

 

The first thing to know about Pullman is that it is a college town. Washington State University is here, and everywhere in the area is wild about college spirit. Sixty miles before I ever got to the town I started seeing ‘Go COUGS’ painted on the sides of grain silos. Seriously spirituous.

image

If you look carefully, the cougar icon actually spells WSU, which took me forever to figure out, because I’m not that bright sometimes.

 

Sarah gave me a tour of the WSU campus, where it was game day. EVERYBODY was wearing their Crimson and Grey (school colors, and yes I capitalized them). The school has some great old brick buildings which I love:

image

image

 

It also has a museum of dead things, where I found great pleasure in seeing the mascot dead and stuffed, in a simulacrum of vitality. According to Sarah, this is very similar to their football team:

image

 

And since Sarah is a vet school student, she showed me around the veterinary area, with horses and dogs and cats and cows and sheep and goats. All there for something. Here is a super bad shot of a super cute dog that Sarah would be spaying the following day:

image

 

And speaking of dogs, Sarah has three of her own. Which Scrappy was thrilled by. My boy fell in love with her boy. Her girl nipped my boy all through the day. Her man humped my boy to show dominance. They all seemed happy about things:

image

 

Sarah showed me around her town, we went to her favorite bar, her favorite ‘mexican’ joint, hung out with some of her friends. Generally, we just had a good time. It was great to be able to catch up with her, and really – get to know her since we never did that in high school. Thanks Sarah!

image

No comments: