Tuesday, October 26, 2010

And then, it was a whirlwind

I pick Courtney up from the airport and we are off. It’s been two months since we’ve seen each other and there is a bit of awkwardness as we find our rhythm once again. Soon enough though we have it, and a week together flies by in an instant.

 

We do a three hour float down the Meramec river in a canoe. One of only two times I brought out the camera. It was a very relaxed kind of trip:

image

 

A day made for sun screen, and floppy hats:

image

 

It was idylic, and we were the only two people on the river. Three hours of watching turtles jump off of logs, watching the dog trounce through the water, and bite at the paddles, and just serene enjoyment:

image

 

We saw most of Courtney’s friends. We watched a much-too-loud jazz trio. We ate and drank exceedingly well. We slept late and languorously.  We played a dance game on the wii with her family. We ate a few meals with her brother. I cooked for he whole family. We went for a hike through some beautiful woods with the dog. We walked through most of Shaw’s Nature Reserve, where I also brought out the camera.

image

image

image

image

image

image

 

All too soon our week was gone, and there I was with hardly a recollection of where the hours had gone. We grabbed one last roast beef sandwich from Lions Choice, and then I dropped her off at the airport. I was a sad duck as I drove away, my passenger seat now empty for the first time in a week. How quickly and easily I became re-accustomed to having her there next to me. But I knew where I was going next, I knew I would have another week of familiarity once I got to my dad’s house in Fort Smith Arkansas.

No comments: