Friday, October 8, 2010

Chicago – at least I think I was there.

After Milwaukee it was time to head to Chicago to see a friend. She didn’t have a lot of time, so we were only able to grab a quick bite to eat together. We caught up, had a good ol’ time, and I was looking forward to touring the city to shoot photos the next day.

 

Didn’t happen. I got into the city and absolutely hated driving around in it. Looking for a place to park was even more stressful. And so I headed south out of the city as quickly as the stop lights would let me. This is about the only picture I got of the city:

image

 

Safely away from the metropolitan area, and it was time to figure out where the heck I was going. I had to avoid all the toll roads, so stuck to small county highways. I saw a small state park on my map of Illinois and headed towards it. I forget the name. Walnut something or other. Which was fitting, since there were walnuts strewn everywhere:

image

 

I cracked this one and ate it fresh out of the shell. It was surprisingly sweet. I liked it, even though I usually dislike walnuts immensely. Why I decided to eat it, knowing I don’t like them I will never understand. The dog and I walked around the silly trails the state park had, and saw some pretty things, like a butterfly on a flower (goodbye masculinity):

image

 

We stayed in the campground, which was great. I got a chance to work out, plus take a free shower on the grounds. I got a chance to slow down and write a bit:

image

 

And take photos that don’t make any sense:

image

 

I cooked a luxurious meal of spam and black beans. No joke, it was amazingly good, and a rare treat compared to my usual ramen/turkey sandwich fallbacks. I woke up in the morning and took the dog for a walk around the lake. We saw a heron hanging out in the morning mist on the water:

image 

 

We paid the bill for the site (a scant $10!), and headed out. We were almost upon Springfield!

No comments: