Monday, June 22, 2009

Rock the Arts!

Saturday night I attended the ‘Rock the Arts!’ concert, which was held in the historic Elks Opera House downtown. Sooo glad that I did!

 

The show was supposed to start at 7:00PM, but due to some technical difficulties with the sound setup it didn’t get up and running until eightish. They started off with Chloe Stuff, a local piano player with a voice that reminded me of Jewel only lower and louder. Quite enjoyable.

 

Following her was a band called ‘Good with Grenades’, a threesome of young guys who tried very hard to get the crowd going, but didn’t quite seem to manage it. I’m not sure if it was the music or just the bad sound setup, but I couldn’t get into this band. I don’t think they were thrilled with the setup, and had to keep asking for changes from the sound guy… mid-song.

 

Next up was Angie Raess, and a band made up of local talent and craigslist respondees. WOW! After the first couple songs these guys really hit their stride and totally rocked the place! I was super impressed.

 

Unfortunately I had to leave after Angie was done playing. Sis was in town and I wanted to hang out, so I missed Telescope. Total bummer.

 

Thankfully this concert was competing with Tsunami on the Square a block away, and so there wasn’t a ton of people there. I like a little space. :)

 

Also, the not-quite-done renovation of the Elks theatre really added to the ambiance. The spots of missing sound-baffling, the grungy look to some of the walls, and the old creaky seats provided a perfect environment for this concert.

 

All-in-all it was a great time!

No comments: