Thursday, January 10, 2008

Tuscan Meatloaf with Mushroom Sauce

Mom and Nikki came over for our weekly edition of 'The Biggest Loser'. Sadly, the retard in control (me) forgot to TiVo it, so there wasn't a show to watch...  so instead we watched Chicken Little which Nikki had never seen. Of course, Fish Outta Water was the favorite.

 

And then there was dinner as well. A delicious Tuscan Meatloaf (recipe from simply recipes). I'm not sure exactly what makes it 'Tuscan', maybe the Prosciutto? What I really liked about it is that it is all done on the stove-top, no pre-heating and baking required. That also means fewer pans to dirty. Hooray!

 

I changed the recipe a bit. I used fresh mushrooms (shitake, oyster, and crimini), and as such; more of them (about 8-10 oz). I added 1/2 lb of mild Italian sausage, and upped the yolk/milk/bread mixture by a bit to help hold it together.

 

The only thing I would have changed in retrospect would have been to add minced mushroom to the meat mixture, as well as add cheese to the top as it is cooking (and getting flipped) so that the sauce would have been a bit creamier. A very tasty entree though!

 

 

In addition to the loaf, we made steamed green beans, some albertson's baguette (which is freaking awesome tasting for such an unassuming-looking loaf of bread), and mom brought over some mashed potatoes. Yummmmmmyyyyyy.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Why does that look so much better than my BBQ meatloaf?

Damn.

TomboCheck said...

Probably because I have a full-time staff that does nothing but set the food up for the photoshoot. By the time they are done, it isn't even edible any more. :)