Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Weekend Review

Well I have to say that I love 3 day weekends. Saturday started with a trip to one of my favorite coffee joints: Cuppers! Besides having the obvious (Coffee) we also had some breakfast sandwiches, lemon bar, and a muffin. MMMmmmmm good.

 

From there we (Me and DaNece) headed out to the Miller Creek trailhead for a hike.

Miller Creek was mostly frozen, and there was about 2 inches of crusty snow on the ground (and in drifts up to 8 inches!!). We spent about 3 1/2 hours trudging through the white stuff, and all told went about 4 miles. It was a great time, and everybody had fun. DaNece's camera died right at the start of the hike though, so we both took pictures with mine. :)

 

A hole in the ice shows the creek below:

 

We found a burned out old juniper tree to pose in:

 

Icicles formed underneath an outcropping:

 

It was a great hike over-all, and even though our feet were wet by the time we got done, we both had a blast!

PHOTOSET of all 23 photos

 

Sunday we headed down to Phoenix so I could fix her mom's computer, which was infected with the Vundo Virus, as well as a bunch of adware and spyware junk. 3 1/2 hours later and all appeared to be well. :) In thanks her mom and brother took us to Bucca di Beppo for dinner. Our food (Gnocchi al Telefono) was excellent, their food (Ravioli with meat sauce) sucked pretty bad. The service also sucked, which was a pretty big disappointment compared to our last experience with the restaurant over in Anaheim. Oh well.

 

Monday consisted of a noisy but delicious lunch at Pangaea's Bakery (in the Old Firehouse Plaza). Apparently they are expanding into some of the space that used to be Biff's Bagels, so there was lot's of jack hammering going on with minimal partition walls. I can't imagine having to work all day in that, but it was worth sitting through it for an hour to eat their AWESOME food, and have a good cup of coffee. Then we walked around town for about an hour, and ran some errands.

 

Weekend successful!

4 comments:

Granny J said...

My admiration goes out to you for hiking in the snow! Even when I was younger and in better shape, I didn't do that! However, it leads to some awesome pictures. The juniper was a great find!

TomboCheck said...

What I was surprised by was that DaNece didn't mind hiking in it! She went light (with just a camelbak), and she did great!

I'm still trying to get used to hiking with weight, and I was surprised that the 15-20lbs I had on me didn't bother me too much.

Definitely some great pics to be had in the snow!

Mike said...

Beautiful pictures and now I am hungry for some Bucca di Beppo food. I love that place.

TomboCheck said...

Thanks Mike! The food there is definitely hard to beat. :)