Wednesday, March 19, 2008

A new world

It's fun to watch Lola explore the new world that she finds herself in. Something as simple as a chuckit is an unknown concept to her, and one that scared her initially. Now she happily chases her brother as he chases the ball.

 

She has been adjusting VERY well and very quickly to life in our household. We have now had two nights of no peeing in the house (though we have yet to go a full day without an accident), and last night we even got to sleep for 7 hours before she woke us up.

 

She has a blast using Scrappy as an oversized chew toy, and he seems happy to oblige her with some friendly wrestling. When mom came over last night Lola stayed in sight, no longer feeling the need to cower under the kitchen table.

 

Tonight should see us taking our first walk to state land with her, and hopefully this weekend a short hike with puppy in tow.

 

Compared to Scrappy she is learning things much faster (probably in large part because she emulates him), and is much more mellow. Ten minutes of trouncing around the house with Scrappy is enough to leave her stretched out on the floor snoring away for thirty minutes.

4 comments:

quilteddogs said...

I hope Lola will overcome the memories of whatever abuse she was subjected to. One of my dogs is from the humane society and the other is from springer rescue. Fortunately, I don't think either one of them suffered any abuse before coming to live with me.

TomboCheck said...

I'm sure she will. From the way scrappy acted when he found us we are pretty sure that he was abused as well. And he turned out mostly-normal (sometimes I just don't know about that boy). :)

With a few weeks of stability and love everything gets better.

Chickenbells said...

egads...she IS a cutie! I'm sorry I missed her before...those two compliment each other so well!! I didn't know Scrappy was abused before you got him...he's so very sweet and "normal" I had a friend with a Queensland who had major issues...I think that's so very sad...but, Scrappy's attitude and general fabulousness is certainly a big pat on the back to you two wonderful owners!!

TomboCheck said...

Thanks Chickenbells. I don't know that I would go so far as to call Scrappy 'normal', but he isn't a total wierdo.

We can only guess that scrappy was abused by his behavior. He just showed up on our doorstep one day and wouldn't leave, so we don't have any real history on him.