Friday, May 9, 2008

Simplicity

I have been accused of being a fancy cook by my fiance. She says that I am incapable of actually making something easy and not very time-consuming for dinner.

 

And I have to admit that it is true. I can turn an easy pasta with olive oil into a 45-60 minute affair. But it's all just because I enjoy being in the kitchen so much.

 

But last night I finally created something tasty AND fast! Maybe not as easy or fast as she would have made, but for me it is a step in the right direction.

 

I made a STAC sandwich.  ???

Salami

Tomato

Avocado

Chicken

 

Admit it - the thought of those four ingredients has activated your drool glands, right?

 

The longest part of this dish was getting the chicken cooked. I pounded it out a bit while a pan was pre-heating so it would cook more evenly. I seasoned it with a bit of Italian seasoning, salt, and pepper. Into the hot pan it went, cooking until almost fully done, then pulled off and allowed to rest under some tin foil.

 

While that was resting I sliced the avocado and tomato that were left over from Saturday's Mexican shenanigans. Once fully cooked, and now slightly cooled down I sliced the chicken, and along with the other ingredients, proceeded to stack a sandwich of pure delight. A little mayo, in addition to a touch of salt and pepper finished off the meal.

 

So for 20 minutes, and only a handful of ingredients that were already in the fridge, it was a damn fine dinner!

 

2 comments:

Melissa said...

that sandwich is lovely. sometimes I have a hard time getting back to simplicity as well. :)

TomboCheck said...

I have to admit that the simplicity was fueld by apathy to go to the store to get more ingredients. Sometimes laziness begets creativity. :)