Friday, May 9, 2008

Something Fishy

Thresher shark and halibut to be exact.

Wednesday night the Mom-in-Law was over, and would eat dinner with us only if we were having fish.

 

No problem there, it is Halibut season! So I stopped off at Albertson's to pick up some of this ridiculously priced ($17/lb) yumminess, and picked up some much more reasonably priced ($9/lb) shark steaks so there would be enough food for everybody (of course I invited our roomate Luke to eat with us as well).

 

DaNece and her Mom are big fans of white fish, so halibut fits the bill there perfectly with its light and subtle flavor. Personally, I like the stronger, wilder flavor of the shark.

 

Both were prepared the same way - sprinkled with seasoning. Salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, and a touch of old bay. The shark got the remaining thyme, rosemary, some salt and pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, and some paprika.

 

The oven was preheated to 400.

 

Each of them hit a pre-heated pan with a little oil in it, and were pan seared just until there was some decent color, and then they were put in the oven for ~10-15 minutes until cooked through.

 

Accompanying the fish was green beans, some rice, and something new; green kohlrabi!

 

This awesome little vegetable is a type of cabbage, closely related to the rutabaga, and is something that my dad loved to eat. So when I saw it at the store, I just had to get it. It tastes slightly like broccoli stem, but is much sweater. I just stuck it in a medium-heat pan with some olive oil, butter, salt, and pepper and let it cook until soft (with many tests along the way of course). VERY TASTY!!

 

So that's the mom-in-law meal, and I have to say I really enjoyed it (everybody else seemed to as well). Now if only fish weren't so expensive here we could eat it a lot more often! :)

2 comments:

Melissa said...

kohlrabi? awesome. I've never tried it, but have seen it mentioned here and there. now I may have to try it.

your photo is just perfect, as if I can vividly sense what everything on the plate tastes like. I love fish, and am just getting to be okay with making it at home. yours looks just wonderful.

TomboCheck said...

The kohlrabi was great! I will definitely be buying some more of it next time I see it.

Fish is still iffy for me. I pretty much always pan sear it or broil it. The few times I have gone beyond those methods have ended in disaster. :) Oh well, just gotta keep on truckin.