Monday, July 28, 2008

I think I might be an alien

Yesterday was a lazy day. Both DaNece and I were kind of gimpy, and so spent the majority of the day lounging around watching star wars.

 

When it came time for dinner, you could say we were uninspired. Kind of how you could say the Grand Canyon is a little ditch in the ground.

 

We finally got our lazy asses into the kitchen, but decided not to cook. I had my heart set on a garlic bologna sandwich. There was a problem though.

 

WE WERE OUT OF SANDWICH BREAD!!

 

But I was determined to have my bologna sandwich regardless, so I did something that I've never done before. I sunk to all new depths of desperation.

 

I made my beloved sandwich on Cinnamon Swirl Raisin Bread.

 

Yes I did. And the worst part? I actually..... kind of ..... LIKED it. Which makes me think that I might be an alien. Because I'm pretty sure that a human wouldn't enjoy the combination of garlic bologna, mayonnaise, mustard, cinnamon, and raisins. It is something that goes against everything that we are taught is right in the world, and I felt kind of dirty even as I was making it. But GOD was it tasty.

 

Maybe it was just the growling beast of hunger tearing its way out of my mid-section. But maybe it was something more.

15 comments:

FreeOscar said...

My little brother would have ham & cinnamon swirl bread. He loved the combination. He also like to stick his finger his nose to mine for gold too.

TomboCheck said...

C.Rag - mining for gold isn't the worst thing in the world, so long as you aren't eating the profits. :)

Anonymous said...

Ugh. That sounds pretty yukky. The sandwich AND the mining.

TomboCheck said...

Katie - yeah, even knowing how good it tasted I have to admit that the sandwich does sound yucky...

Anonymous said...

Tom, Cinnummumm (sp) roll is pretty outside the box but don't knock it till you've tried it, right? However, if you said you were out of Mayo...well there is no substitute, I'd have to go to bed hungry.

TomboCheck said...

Tony - That is a darn good motto to live by. I will generally try anything twice, but I don't think I would have contemplated this combination had desperation not been a factor. :)

Mayo - agreed. Miracle whip is a paltry imitator who holds no sway over me.

Chickenbells said...

I don't know...I ate tuna on a brownie on a camping trip and it wasn't that bad, and my 94 year old grandmother swears that the best combo ever is pickles and chocolate cake...I think it's the combination of sweet and salty that makes it taste good...

TomboCheck said...

Chickenbells - Your grandma sounds like an awesome lady!

I'll have to see if I can get D to try tun and brownies...

Granny J said...

Tom -- enough of this sandwich talk-talk. My problem is that 1) I really don't drive & 2) i have just run out of my Trader Joe's lemon dill sauce. Is there anything like a substitute to be found in the Prescott region??? Help!!!

TomboCheck said...

GrannyJ - Sadly I know of no substitutes off hand. Of course you could always try New Frontiers, as I believe they have a varied assortment of sauces available.

You could also try making your own if you were feeling ambitious.

My guess on core ingredients would be:
- lemon and dill obviously
- wine
- butter
- salt
- pepper

And possibly (knowing what it tastes like you would know better than I):
- shallot
- vinegar
- mayonnaise or cream
- mustard
- possibly thyme?

How I would make it:
- put a tablespoon or so of butter in a pan, and cook minced shallot until translucent
- add lemon juice, wine, and more butter and bring to a boil and allow to reduce
- add cream (maybe some milk if cream seems to heavy), and a little bit of dry mustard
- add chopped dill
- taste and add salt/pepper accordingly
- continue to reduce until it is a consistency you like.

Mike said...

I could do the cinnamon bread, but honestly, raisins will be the downfall of mankind.

And celery.

I'm telling you if you ever make a dish with raisins and celery, the earth will turn into a black hole and start sucking on a gallactic scale.

TomboCheck said...

Mike - So I shouldn't tell you that that good ol' health snack Ants on a Log (raisins, peanut butter, celery) is one of my favorites?

There is a serious blackhole originating in Prescott Arizona. :)

Melissa said...

and so spent the majority of the day lounging around watching star wars

Of course. ;)

Miracle Whip is disgusting! And I ain't really sure how to judge that sandwich you made. *Cough* Weirdo *Cough*

TomboCheck said...

Melissa - we managed to get all but VI watched between saturday and sunday. :) A weekend well spent.

And yeah - wierdo is a name I'm pretty comfortable with. :P

How was the fair?

Melissa said...

We didn't go. Steve lost his job on Friday so we put an immediate hold on any entertainment expense.

Don't worry, it's cool. :)